You are currently browsing the archive for the Sweets category.
Click for the original post: Pate a choux
Summary: Eclair Filling (Pastry Cream)
- 8 oz sugar
- 1 qt (32 oz) milk
- 4 egg yolks plus 2 whole eggs
- 2 1/2 oz corn starch
- 2 oz butter
- 1/2 oz vanilla extract (or 1 whole vanilla bean)
- For the chocolate topping: use chocolate that melts and then hardens (like chocolate wafers)
- In large sauce pan, heat 4 oz (half) of the sugar and the milk until it scalds (small bubbles up sides of pan and a little foamy on top).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and yolks, corn starch, and the rest of your sugar until it’s smooth.
- Temper the hot mixture with the cold: add the hot milk liquid to the egg and corn starch mixture a small amount at a time so it doesn’t cook your eggs. When the mixture is warm enough you can add the rest.
- Put the mixture back in your sauce pan and on medium heat, continue stirring until it thickens. Do not stop stirring or it will burn. After about 5 minutes the cream mixture will thicken and boil. When it looks thick enough, remove from heat.
- Place in separate pan, cover with wax paper (so it doesn’t form a crust on top) and cool until ready to use.
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Summary: Cream Puff Filling – Chantilly cream
- 12 oz heavy cream
- 2 oz powdered sugar, sifted (sifting is important here)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- In an electric mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Using the whisk attachment, whisk on low, then gradually increase to high. Whisk about 2 minutes until stiff peaks form but do not over mix. (Stiff peaks: take your whisk attachment out and turn it upside down. If the cream left on the whisk falls over and looks like an ocean wave, you’re at medium peaks. If it stays in a little point like a little snow capped mountain, you’re there.)
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Copyright © TamaraEsq 2011.
Print This Post Email This Post