Drunken Pears with almond ice cream and crunchy macarons, original post here.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cupa whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup blanched and peeled almonds
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- Toast almonds in 350 degree oven until they turn fragrant and brown slightly. Do not over toast. Let cool, then crush into small pieces.
- Whisk together cream, milk, and sugar in heavy sauce pot. Simmer until sugar is dissolved and mixture is thickened slightly (about 175 degrees on candy thermometer. It should just coat the back of a spoon). Add almond extract and stir. Cool, then chill overnight.
- Pour mixture into your ice cream maker. When it starts to get slushy add the toasted almond pieces. Let the ice cream maker do its work, then freeze.