- 1 bunch asparagus
- olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Butter (clarified works best), at least 1/2 cup to 1 cup
- Wash and peel asparagus if thick (or snap off ends if thin). Add to salted water that is at a rolling boil. Blanch until still al dente.
- While asparagus is blanching, prepare an ice bath of water and ice in a bowl. When asparagus is al dente, immediately remove from boiling water and plunge in ice bath. When cooled, immediately remove from ice bath and dry on towel.
- Heat olive oil. Saute until tender but still slightly crisp, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
- Whisk egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water in stainless steel bowl.
- Place bowl over pot of boiling water (as in a double boiler). Whisk constantly until yolk thickens.
- Gradually whisk in butter until incorporated.
- Whisk in salt, pepper, lemon juice and cayenne pepper if desired.