- 1 1/4 cup dried Flageolet beans
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, tied together with kitchen twine (aka bouquet garnis)
- Pick through dried beans to remove any stones. Soak beans overnight by placing in pot and covering beans by at least 4 inches of water.
- Drain, rinse, and add more water to cover the beans by 4 inches. (You can use chicken stock too but may need to add more water as it evaporates). Add bay leaf and bouquet garni. Heat to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt. Simmer for another hour until tender, adding more salt to taste. Remove bouquet garni and bay leaf and drain remaining water, if any.
Notes / Variations
As mentioned, these take some time so make sure you start ‘em early.
Variation: saute with 1/2 onion first for 10 minutes, then cook in chicken stock as directed above.